
Thailand is a tropical country and summer is longer than other seasons. The climate in Thailand is good all year round so it is good to grow fruits and vegetable. Now is summer time in Thailand (March – June) mango, lychee and durian are giving fruits during this time. When you are in Thailand during summer, please try these fruits.
First is Mango. Mango can be eaten green or ripe. Normally green mango is serving with sweet and spicy dipping sauce or sometime serves with chili, salt and sugar. Ripe mango is normally serve fresh or cooked. There are many dishes made from ripe mango such as “Mango Sticky Rice” a famous ancient style dessert during summer time. Now new generation chef created many menus from mango such as Mango Salad with Prawns, Mango Salsa, Mango Tart, Mango Ice Cream and etc…
Second is lychee. Lychee will be giving fruits in April until to June. Lychee is very juicy and refreshing fruit, it is delicious both fresh and cooked. There are variety lychee menus, but my favorite is lychee smoothie. Lychee can be cooked for dessert and main dishes such as “Kaeng Phed Ped Yang” (dry curry with duck and lychee) and lychee fried rice (highly recommended).
The third one is durian. Durian is very famous for its strong smell. Durian is forbidden in some places such as hotel or restaurant. However, durian is very famous among Thai people for its texture and flavor. Durian can be eaten young and ripe. Young durian is good for durian chips, the test is very good and it doesn’t give any strong smell of durian. Ripe durian can be eaten fresh or cooked. Durian can be cooked in variety dishes; the most famous dish is “Khao Niew Durian” (durian in coconut milk and sticky rice).
In Asia, durian is said to have "heaty" properties, eating very much will give your body a heated sensation for a brief period thereafter. I have found this to be true from my own experience. It’s not necessarily unpleasant, it just happens, and is part of the overall durian eating experience.
By Noi - Durian Lover ;)
4 comments:
Durian um..m I haven’t tasted it for such a long time but its smell I can remember it vividly . You are right some places don’t allow us to take durian in. From my experience when I was in Bangkok: the air-conditioned bus is one place that you can’t carry it on the bus. Anyone who brings it on the bus you can spot the smell straightaway. However, the benefit of this fruit is when you don’t get along well with somebody you can use its peel as a weapon…you see it has never been wasted!!!.
I agree that we are lucky that our country have fruits all year round, we can enjoy eating fruit in different tastes in different season. Even though I don’t like summer that much, the fruit in this season are yummy i.e. Mango
Definitely, ripe mango with sticky rice is a scrumptious dessert. Another fruit that come with summer season is mangosteen, some say it is a queen of thai fruit. It comes almost as same time as durian, eating durian sometimes make you inside hot therefore having mangosteen which is classed as a cool fruit will cool you down. Excellent isn’t it.
Som
According to the variuos types of fruits we have in Thailand, many Thai proverbs or expressions also originated from them. Like 'A-Ngoon-Preaw' which means 'sour grape' it can refer to the people who blame over things that they are not able to get it. 'Ma-Kham-Koh-Deaw' (The only one joint tammarind)which refers mostly to a man who is short and quite chubby. 'Ma-Now-Mai-Mee-Nam' (juiceless lime)means someone who behaves discourtiuosly.
And many more proverbs and expression which relate to the fruits. This shows that thai people have been living with the richness of natural resources for ages. Thailand, where you can enjoy with variuos kinds of fruits all year long.
I agree that Thailand is the land of fruits all year round. Thai people are luckier than others. We can choose to eat our favorite fruit in each season especially durians in the summer. Although durians have strong smell, many people are durian lovers. For me, I don't like durians very much because its smell always makes me feel dizzy. I am mango lover. I like to cook it "Mango salad" When it's ripe, I like to eat it with sticky rice. Moreover, I often eat mango with ice cream at Swensen very much. I am very proud to be born in the land of fruits. Do you agree with me ?
Sunee said.
Summer is a time for me to have it!Durian is known as the king of Thai fruits. Its look is distinctive and its smell is unforgettable. I like its flesh which is creamy and sweet.Whenever I taste its unique flavors there is no turning back, and I will become a Durian addict, I can't stop having it. Surprisingly it is one king of fruit that isn't allowed in some places and someone get awful according to its strong smell. Such a terrible. Anyway for Durian lovers, I've a trick to eliminate such terrible smell after enjoy having it. Just pour water into Durian's hollow inner skin then rinse your mounth.This is the way to reduce that bad smell. So let's go to find some Durians and try it. I hope it's helpful.
Post a Comment