


Thai dessert is popular among the Thais to eat after a meal since Thai food is quite spicy so Thai dessert is served to balance of Thai savory dishes. Thai dessert making requires intricate skills, and depends a great deal on the quality and freshness of ingredients, coconut milk and meat, palm sugar, rice flour and other essentials.
Thai people prefer our desserts to have fragrance by soak jasmine and other aromatic flowers in water and use resultant scented water to make syrup. Bland seed or beans are cooked in the syrup to make liquid sweets. Aromatic candles often burned next to cakes or cookies in closed containers to in part scents, or desserts are placed next to fragrant flowers overnight. Some sweets are garnished with gold leaf such as Thong Eak.
Not only for eating, Thai sweets are also used in ceremonies. Thai people use sweets in ceremonies based on its name and how it’s look. In wedding ceremony or house warming there will be Foy Thong (a sweet dessert made from egg yolk and syrup). The meaning is long lasting. Kanom Chan (layer rice pudding) means growing in career path. Kanom Tuey Foo means flourishing life.
Thai people prefer our desserts to have fragrance by soak jasmine and other aromatic flowers in water and use resultant scented water to make syrup. Bland seed or beans are cooked in the syrup to make liquid sweets. Aromatic candles often burned next to cakes or cookies in closed containers to in part scents, or desserts are placed next to fragrant flowers overnight. Some sweets are garnished with gold leaf such as Thong Eak.
Not only for eating, Thai sweets are also used in ceremonies. Thai people use sweets in ceremonies based on its name and how it’s look. In wedding ceremony or house warming there will be Foy Thong (a sweet dessert made from egg yolk and syrup). The meaning is long lasting. Kanom Chan (layer rice pudding) means growing in career path. Kanom Tuey Foo means flourishing life.
Thai sweets are cheap compare to Western sweets and available at every fresh markets. However, don't enjoy eating too much otherwise you will have to see the dentist often.
Noi ;)
4 comments:
I am a Thai dessert lover. I usually eat it after my dinner. Khanom Chan and Morkaeng are my favorite dessert. Thai dessert is easy to buy and it's cheaper than Western sweets. If we compare Thai desserts with choclate, I think Thai desserts are more delicious, sweeter and more nutrient than chocolate. I think we are born to be Thai. We should eat Thai desserts and support Thai product. Thai desserts are made from Thais' wisdom. If Thai people want to make desserts fragrant, they can soak with jasmine,aromatic flowers or Baitey which are very easy to find in their own house or buy in the market. Moreover, Thai desserts are made of natural ingredients. Its color is from some leaves or flowers. So, it's very safe to consume. I agree that Thai desserts are used in Thai ceromonies based on its name. For example in wedding ceremony there will be Thong Yib, Thong Yod or Foy Thong ( Thai desserts made from egg yolk and syrup.) The meaning is wealthy. If you were a sweet dessert lover, please be careful of being fat or having toothache. For me, I am slim and I can eat a lot of Thai desserts. I'm not afraid of the dentist.
They are such mouthwatering pictures of Thai desserts
I am a sweet tooth person, but as Sunee said these Thai desserts could cause weight problem if we are overeating them. Occasionally, I indulge myself just... a little..e...e bit. These desserts have long been in Thai ceremonies more than a century. There are many Thai food and dessert festivals launch in everywhere particularly at department store in order to maintain the culture not to be forgotten.
Thesedays, in some bakeries they combine cake and sprinkle “Foy Thong” on top of it give a different taste. Otherwise, I see many place has changed the feature of “Kanom Chan” from a square layers to flowers to attractive more customers. I used to try to make them myself a few times but they don’t look anything like your pictures at all.
Phitchaya
Me too.I really appreciate having Thai dessert especially Thong Yod, Thong Yip and Foy Thong except western dessert like chocolate.It is very delicious and everytime I have it I feel relax and happy because of its sweet taste. I can say that I have chocolate more often than Thai dessert because it's easy to get;in the supermarket, TOPS or 7-eleven, everywhere. While Thai dessret is not easy to find in those places. This is one thing as we are Thai should concern with it. Thai dessert should be seen in all over places instead of western dessert. It's a good idea to put Thai and Western dessert in the same place in order to give more chance for people to know the excalty image of Thai dessert not only from the magazine.
Ann
Thai sweet is not only deliciuos and beautiful but it is made to serve all needs in all season and occasion. For example, Thong Yip, Thong Yod and Foy-Thong normally used in the special occasion like wedding ceremony, new house celebration or the new born baby ceremony in order to bring the good luck to the family. During summer time, we have Khao-Chae, or the sweet rice in the jusmine syrup with its purpose of cool down the body temperature. Khao-mun Ma-muang, sweet sticky rice with mango topped with coconut milk, aslo eaten in summer time.
There's lots of sweet which has thier useful purposes. You can check for futher information at www.tipfood.com/Thaidessert/Thaidessert_topic1.html
Post a Comment